Here at Atlys, we’ve developed a comprehensive rating system that ranks brands and companies based on a variety of ethical and sustainable criteria that fit under 3 main categories: People, Planet, and Animals.
Read more below to learn why a brand might receive a given rating out of 5 for each area, all contributing to its overall “Atlys Score.”
If any of the given criteria don’t apply to a brand, they won’t be shown in its Atlys Score.
The backbone of business
1. They claim to pay fair wages but have no further information. This is the bare minimum a company can achieve in convincing their customers they’re supporting their workforce. This claim is listed sparsely on their website.
2. Companies with this rating have put visible effort through marketing into assuring us that they are paying their workforce fair wages. The claim for fair wages is found in multiple spots throughout a company’s online presence.
3. There is more transparency into how this company defines fair wages. They’ve listed what they consider a fair wage to be, or at the very least present convincing content that explains their fair wages.
4. To receive this rating, the company must have some transparency into their pay policies, lending insight into how they are fairly paying their workforce.
5. These companies are overtly transparent with their pay policies and minimum pay for their employees, as well as elements in their supply chain which constitute a fair wage in the industry.
1. Very little information is provided surrounding the working conditions of the company, other than that they claim to have safe and fair working conditions.
2. Some additional information is available regarding the working conditions of the company other than the base claim that they have safe, fair working conditions. However, there is still very little relevant transparency into the true working conditions of the company.
3. The company has defined their proper working spaces, conditions and benefits, with some evidence to support that they live up to their claim.
4. The company has clear visibility into their proper working conditions, and their efforts to improve on them.
5. There is complete transparency into the working conditions of the company and their supply chain, as well as evidence demonstrating proper and ethical working conditions. This includes worker safety, accessibility, and health safety precautions.
1. This company is doing very little to support racial and gender equality. While there may be some mention in their online presence, they are not actively taking action.
2. The company has publicly stated their goals and mentioned their attempts to pursue them.
3. The company has made visible efforts toward inclusion and equality.
4. There is evidence of the company making outward action to improve equality, as well as contributing to programs or systems that are pursuing a common goal.
5. The company contributes to pathways and support for marginalized communities, including into leadership positions, and makes transparent efforts throughout their supply chain to amplify the voices of POC and reduce racial and gender inequality.
We only have one
1. This company claims to support charities but gives no further data beyond this claim.
2. They list which organizations they support. Their charitable donations may be one-time only or short-term based.
3. The company explains how they contribute to these organizations, and why. Giving must be ongoing.
4. The company contributes a notable portion of their profits (at least 10%) to support charitable/offsetting organizations.
5. The company is entirely dedicated to the organizations they support and contributes over 50% of their profits to beneficial causes and charities.
1. The company makes no effort above the bare minimum in terms of packaging. This company likely uses generic cardboard boxes to deliver
their products and has no regard for the recyclability of their packaging.
2. This company has made some efforts to pack and ship sustainably, but conventional materials are still being used. They encourage their customers to recycle packaging but make little to no effort to reduce their use of conventional packaging materials.
3. This company is reducing their use of conventional shipping and packaging materials, and making it known to their customers that the materials being used can be recycled or repurposed. Likely, this company is using some non-conventional packaging and shipping materials.
4. This company is making visible efforts to reduce their impact on the environment by using recycled materials and non-conventional packaging. Some conventional materials may still be in use, but most of their shipping and packaging materials are sustainable.
5. This is an innovative company. Their shipping and packaging materials are nearly 100% sustainable, with little to no wasteful byproduct.
1. This company makes little effort toward the sustainability of their merchandise. They may mention that their products can be recycled. There is a small amount of information available on this company’s use of resources, and whether they are sourcing their materials in an ethical manner. There may be mention of the importance of sustainable and ethically sourced materials.
2. This company is making it clear that they manage their resources in a sustainable manner. This company alludes to the materials used to produce their products but leaves it up to the buyer as to how they can best recycle the product. The company has information available on how they source their materials and makes efforts to replenish the resources that their production process consumes.
3. This company uses some repurposed materials in their production process. They make some effort to make known the recyclability of their products. Through increased product durability, and awareness of waste management and disposal, this company is making a visible effort to manage their resources in an ethical, responsible manner.
4. Most materials used throughout the production process are sourced sustainably and are repurposed to reduce waste. The product itself is for the most part sustainable and can be recycled in some fashion. This company clearly has a proper handle on managing their resources. They are prompt in replenishing any resources that are consumed as a part of their production process and have transparency into the resources their business consumes.
5. Every product sold by this company is created by repurposing materials that would otherwise be disposed of. Their product line is dependent on the waste of other industries, and they properly repurpose the materials into a sustainable, recyclable product. This company has a commitment to a circular economy, maintenance of the environment, and proper resource management. They not only offset the impact of their supply chain, but of the world around them. The environment is visibly benefiting from the presence of this business.
1. This company glosses over the lifetime of their products. They are not concerned with pursuing longevity in their product line. There will be very few mentions of product lifetime throughout their online presence.
2. Visible efforts have been made to increase the lifetime of their products. However, this company does not exert itself in informing or persuading its customers to consider product lifetime when shopping.
3. This company is concerned with the lifetime of their products and make known their efforts to create durable merchandise. Their products are designed to outlive the typical consumer product in their market.
4. Long-lasting products are at the forefront of this company, as they prioritize the reduction of waste in their industry. They are innovative in how they produce durable goods and make a conscious effort to help their customers consider product longevity.
5. The products produced by this company vastly outlive their competitors, and do not sacrifice in functionality, and their website makes mention of this fact. This company is transparent in its efforts to increase its product longevity and create actionable steps for its customers to continue this effort.
1. This company is doing the bare minimum to offset their carbon footprint. They are likely still employing the use of traditional forms of transportation and production that are large producers of carbon emissions and are taking very small steps to offset this.
2. New, more sustainable methods of production are being employed by this company, and they are producing less carbon emissions to start. They are also outspoken about their efforts to offset their carbon emissions but are not entirely carbon neutral.
3. This company has a fully innovative production and distribution strategy that will likely lead them to be carbon neutral in the future. They are transparent in their energy use and have taken steps to reduce their total energy consumption.
4. This company is completely carbon neutral, either through the use of sustainable production process, or extensive efforts to offset their carbon footprint. They provide supporting evidence for this claim and are transparent in how they are improving the world around them.
5. Going above and beyond, this company is not only carbon neutral, but they are also making efforts to reduce carbon emissions for their supply chain, as well as other unrelated companies. Their efforts are transparent and make a visible difference to the world around them.
They’re nice. Let’s be nice back
1. Other than a short mention in their online presence, this company has little transparency into whether they use ethically sourced animal resources as a part of the production process.
2. This company is somewhat transparent in their use of ethically sourced materials and recognizes and supports the claim that they do not use any unethically sourced animal products in the product itself.
3. By being outspoken on this area, and transparent into the materials they use, this company has the information readily available to convince customers that unethically sourced animal products have no place in their production process.
4. This company is committed to not using new animal products as a part of their products, and they are fully transparent about the ethical sourcing of any animal products that are used as part of their products. This company discloses the supply chain of any of their ethically sourced animal products.
5. This company is committed to bettering their industry in this area. Not only are they fully transparent in the ethical sourcing of any animal products they use, but they contribute to increasing the industry standard of what materials are acceptable in products. This company has found new materials to replace the use of animal products or has developed innovative ways of sourcing animal products.
Our simplest criteria, this is simply a yes or no. Using animals as test subjects for new products is inhumane, and we choose to highlight brands that are operating ethically in every area of their operations.
Save money, save the Earth
These brands sell products at a price that is below the industry benchmark for ethical and sustainable brands.
These brands sell products at a price that is at the industry benchmark for ethical and sustainable brands.
These brands sell products at a price that is above the industry benchmark for ethical and sustainable brands.
Find the Products You Need from Ethical Brands
Browse top categories